Thursday, August 21, 2008

no lav no!


I eat cereal to cope. Cracklin Oat Bran seems to do the job. Rice milk...not even the cow kind...does the job. Mild.

My best friend left tonight. For one year to a far away and mysterious land they call Montana for a span of time they call one year. She says it is technically 11 months....like that sounds better. It does. But I won't admit it.

She reminds me to be free. To acknowledge people. To be grateful for ten things a day, and if you repeat something...be grateful for 11 things tomorrow. She tells me that you can watch all episodes of 90210 for free on CBS.com. How was I supposed to know that without her? She reminds me of who I am...when I'm with her, it's like having that glass of red wine after a trying day. Clears out the excess. I suddenly get it again. She reminds me of the way Amy Grant knows all the right things to say at all the right times. The way these things people want us to believe are important, are in fact so unbelievably irrrelevant to our purpose. The way it feels to remember to really laugh...not to pretend to.

Having a person I am so unbelievably and wholeheartedly obsessed with, who seems to admire me in a similar fashion, is such a gift. I will miss her, but I think her leaving is what I need to remind me of the fragility of comfort. And that is something i desperatly need. Nothing is permanent. Life is about shifting and growing and stretching and learning. She leaves and I remember that I can . That is good. I can leave. whew. Nothing is a cage unless you allow it to be.

Thank you Linds.

2 comments:

Jacob and Carlee Loya said...

rachel would want her to go. she'd be draggin' that dank ass diaper, but still, she would insist that lindsay do what lindsay must...in that strange alaska-of-the-lower-48called montana. you're amazing, let it be known.

Jacob and Carlee Loya said...

just reflecting on my favorite sentence in this blog: "For one year to a far away and mysterious land they call Montana for a span of time they call one year." it occupies that same place in my heart where your comments about aiming high (not) are located. in the nongsense section, filed under 'more nongsense etc'.